Job Search Timeline
August - October
- Attend the Career Services Office (CSO) Orientation and Resume Workshop when announced.
- Review job search information on CSO's website.
- If you plan to participate in New York University's International Student Interview Program (ISIP), check out information at www.law.nyu.edu/isip. Students must register by the designated October date.
- If interested in taking a bar exam in the U.S., view requirements in the Comprehensive Guide to Bar requirements at: www.ncbex.org. Also view the bar site of the individual state in which you intend to sit for the exam. Links to bar sites can be found in the Comprehensive Guide at the above link.
- If you are considering taking the New York Bar Exam, you should request an evaluation of your foreign credentials at least six to nine months before the bar exam. We recommend that you do this even if you are not sure whether you will take the New York Bar Exam. There is no cost to request an evaluation of your foreign credentials, and you can appeal if you are ineligible. Also, you should request an evaluation as early as possible so you don't end up paying to take the bar and studying unnecessarily. The request for evaluation information can be accessed online at https://www.nybarapply.org/feval/.
- Sign up for an appointment with a CSO counselor to review your resume and discuss your job search. (Email: email@example.com)
November - December
- Begin networking with former employers, friends, and colleagues who may have connections with U.S. employers. Talk to faculty members, 3rd year JD students, and Chicago-Kent alumni.
- Use the CSO library and online resources to locate potential employers.
- Send your cover letter and resume to employers. Keep track of where and when you send your resume.
- Make follow-up telephone calls to employers to whom you have written inquiring about the status of your application.
- Send your cover letter and resume to additional employers.
- If you registered for NYU's ISIP, you will be able to learn if you have been chosen for interviews by checking the ISIP web-site (info available mid-December). Check the ISIP website to review your schedule of interviews and cancel any interviews.
- Conduct a Mock-Interview in preparation for the upcoming NYU ISIP job fair and attend any CSO programming.
- Participate in NYU ISIP in late January.
- To apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT), please see www.iit.edu/~internat/OPTNEW/ or contact the International Center on IIT's main campus at: (Tel. (312) 567-3680, firstname.lastname@example.org).
February - May
- Schedule an appointment with a CSO counselor if you are still seeking employment and have not yet been in the to Career Services Office. To schedule an appointment, send an email to email@example.com. Be sure to keep the CSO updated with your job status.
- If taking a bar, sign up for the bar exam and for BarBri or another bar preparation program. Note that application deadlines for the exam vary from state to state so make sure you meet the application deadline for the state in which you intend to sit for the exam.
- If you are taking a bar exam and have not taken the MPRE, consider taking the exam in March. Check the MPRE website for registration deadlines.