Contact Information

Registrar's Office

IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law
565 W. Adams St., Suite 220
Chicago, IL 60661
P: (312) 906-5080
F: (312) 906-5129

A A | Email | Print | Share

Veteran Benefits

Illinois Institute of Technology proudly participates in the Montgomery GI Bill Program and the Yellow Ribbon Program. Please visit the links below to learn about each program as well as eligibility requirements.

Please Note: IIT Main campus Students must contact the main Campus Registration Office at (312) 567-3100 or to process their VA Benefits.

Logo and graphic for Montgomery GI Bill Program

General Information About Educational Benefits

Audited Courses
Audited courses are ineligibile for VA benefits

Changing Majors
If you are changing your major, you must notify the VA by filling out the Change of Program form, 22-1995 (22-5495 for Chapter 35 recipients), and submit it to the Registrar's Office. This form can be picked up at in the Registrar's Office, or can be downloaded from or the application can be completed online at

Changing Schools
If you are transferring either to IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law or from IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law to another school and are already receiving your benefits; you need to fill out a Change of Program or Place of Training form, (22-1995), (22-5495 for Chapter 35 recipients). This form can be picked up at the Registrar's Office or the application can be completed online at Submit this form to the school to which you are transferring your benefits.

Drop Period
For VA purposes, the drop period is a reasonably brief period of time at the beginning of a term officially designated by the school for dropping courses. The school's last day to drop a course will be the end of the drop period.

Dropping a Course
If you drop a course during the semester/term, the VA may consider the drop retroactive to the start of the semester/course provided mitigating circumstances exist. If dropping classes changes your enrollment status, an overpayment situation may occur.

Guest Student Certification
If you are a guest student requesting VA certification, your home school must complete and forward to the Registrar's Office a parent letter indicating that the courses you are taking at IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law will satisfy the degree requirements at that school.

Independent Study
During a regular semester independent study can be counted toward your enrollment status. (It is best to check with the Registrar's Office as other criteria may also apply.)

Please submit any documentation regarding special classes to the Registrar's Office.

Repeating a Course
Courses that are failed or for which the grade does not meet minimum requirements for graduation may be certified for VA purposes if they are repeated. Courses that are successfully completed may not be certified for VA purposes if they are repeated.

Unsatisfactory Progress
You must maintain satisfactory progress in order to continue receiving your benefits. The VA will terminate your benefits when probationary status continues.

"WP" Grades
he VA will not credit a course toward your enrollment status if the final grade is a"WP". This can lead to an overpayment situation at the end of a semester.

VA Benefits Application Process

First Time Applicant
To process VA benefits for the first semester you attend IIT, you need to complete the following steps:

  1. Apply to the Illinois Institute of Technology and be accepted as a degree-seeking student.
  2. Apply for your Certificate of Eligibility with the Department of Veterans Affairs. For more information, please visit the Department of Veterans Affairs Website.
  3. Once you receive your Certificate of Eligibility from the VA, you may e-mail your certificate to or fax your certificate to (312) 906-5129. You may also deliver the certificate to:

Illinois Institute of Technology-CK
Office of the Registrar
565 West Adams Street
Room 220
Chicago, IL 60661

If you have any questions regarding this program or your eligibility, please contact the Office of the Registrar at (312) 906-5080 directly.

Renewal Benefits
Every semester, you need to submit an e-mail to the Registrar's Office requesting to process your benefits. You should complete the following steps:

  • Contact the VA to determine benefit eligibility you have remaining. You can view your benefits here:

  • If you have remaining eligibility, contact the Registrar's Office to process your benefits, by sending an e-mail to or fax your certificate to (312) 906-5129 stating you want to use your benefits again. You will receive confirmation from the Office of the Registrar once this is receive.

If you have any questions regarding this program or your eligibility, please contact the Office of the Registrar at (312) 906-5080 directly.

Post-9/11 Yellow Ribbon Program

Chicago-Kent College of Law is pleased participate in the Department of Veteran Affairs' Yellow Ribbon Program. As a benefit of this program, eligible military veterans can attend Chicago-Kent at little to no out-of-pocket tuition cost. Both full-time and part-time students are eligible to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program. 

Yellow Ribbon Eligibility Requirements

Only individuals entitled to the maximum benefit rate* (based on service requirements) may receive this funding. Therefore, you may be eligible if:

  • You served an aggregate period of active duty after September 10, 2001, of at least 36 months
  • You Yellow Ribbon Program logowere honorably discharged from active duty for a service connected disability and you served 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001
  • You are a dependent eligible for Transfer of Entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill based on a veteran's service under the eligibility criteria listed above.

* $20,235.02 Per Academic Year

Yellow Ribbon Estimate Calculation- (sample)

$ 25,395.00 - IIT Tuition and fees (amount will vary depending on year in school)
$ 20,235.02 * - From GI Bill funding

$ 5,159.98 - Balance Remaining
$ 2,579.99 - VA Yellow Ribbon Contribution
$ 2,579.99 - IIT Matching Contribution

$ 25,395.00 - Total Benefits

For the 2013–14 academic year, Chicago-Kent had 8 students who participated in the Yellow Ribbon Program.

For questions regarding VA benefits or the Yellow Ribbon program contact:

Tyana Roth
(312) 906-5080

Transfer of Post-9/11 GI -Bill Benefits to Dependents (TEB)

Service members enrolled in the Post-9/11 GI Bill program can transfer unused educational benefits to their spouse or children as of August 1, 2009. Eligibility requirements can be found in detail on the Department of Veteran Affairs website for Transfer of Post-9/11 Benefits to Dependents (TEB).

How to apply for TEB

First you must go to the Department of Defense transferability application web site to determine if your dependents are eligible to receive the transferred benefits. This web site is only available to military members.

Official Department of Defense transferability application web site (non-VA Link, Internet Explorer only).

Upon approval, family members may apply to use transferred benefits with VA by completing VA Form 22-1990e. VA Form 22-1990e should only be completed and submitted to VA by the family member after Department of Defense has approved the request for TEB. Do not use VA Form 22-1990e to apply for TEB.

Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)

REAP was established as a part of the Ronald W. Reagan National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2005. It is a Department of Defense education benefit program designed to provide educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency (contingency operation) as declared by the President or Congress. This program makes certain reservists who were activated for at least 90 days after September 11, 2001 either eligible for education benefits or eligible for increased benefits.

For more information on this program, please visit the Department of Veteran Affairs web site:

Survivors of Dependents Assistance (DEA)

Dependents' Educational Assistance provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training. If you are a spouse, you may take a correspondence course. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.

For more information on this program, please visit the Department of Veteran Affairs web site:

Veteran's Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)

VEAP is available if you elected to make contributions from your military pay to participate in this education benefit program. Your contributions are matched on a $2 for $1 basis by the Government. You may use these benefits for degree, certificate, correspondence, apprenticeship/on-the-job training programs, and vocational flight training programs. In certain circumstances, remedial, deficiency, and refresher training may also be available.

Benefit entitlement is 1 to 36 months depending on the number of monthly contributions. You have 10 years from your release from active duty to use VEAP benefits. If there is entitlement not used after the 10-year period, your portion remaining in the fund will be automatically refunded.

For more information on the VEAP program, please visit the Department of Veterans Affairs web site:

Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment

This program is a service for veterans who have a service-connected disability. Education and vocational counseling is available for eligible service members, current beneficiaries of GI Bill programs, and veterans and qualified dependents who are eligible for educational assistance under any of the GI Bill programs.

For more information on the Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program, please visit the Department of Veterans Affairs website: