Web Hosting Policy
The Information Technology Services department (ITS) is responsible for maintaining the web services of Chicago-Kent College of Law. To ensure the integrity and reliability of the web server the ITS has adopted the following policies.
- Web page authors must agree to abide by all rules, regulations, and guidelines as set forth by Chicago-Kent College of Law/IIT and the ITS. Please see IIT's Acceptable Use Policy for more information.
- Failure to abide by all rules, regulations, and guidelines as set forth by Chicago-Kent College of Law and the ITS will result in the removal of files from the web server without notice.
- The ITS is responsible for the server only. The ITS will be responsible for the maintenance, structure, and security of the web server directories. The ITS is not responsible for any web page content or hyperlinks. Links from Chicago-Kent's main pages to the organization/department home page are maintained by Public Affairs.
- All departments, organizations, faculty, staff, and students requesting web server space must register with the ITS. Forms and instructions for this purpose are available in Room 540 (help desk) and online.
- The Unix Manager will review and approve/deny all requests for web server space.
- The primary contact as listed on the registration form will be informed of any problems with the web page. If the primary or secondary contact cannot be reached, the offending web page will be deactivated.
- Global login IDs are not permitted. Web editors will receive a unique ID with which to maintain the web pages. Upon registration, the user will be required to set their password before making changes to any web pages. The Unix Manager will contact you when your site is registered.
- Accounts that have not been used for three (3) months will be deleted. No notice will be sent to the user.
- Individual student web pages are allowed (see item #4). Students who create their own individual web page are responsible for the creation and maintenance of their own web pages. The ITS does not provide training for web page creation and/or design; however, the ITS can provide students with information about training programs offered by outside vendors..
- All departments, organizations, faculty, staff, and students are prohibited from downloading, installing, and/or configuring any executable program. This includes, but is not limited to, UNIX shell programs, Windows batch files, database servers, and database tools, whether obtained as freeware or purchased commercially. For special projects, please contact the UNIX Manager.
Web Cast/Video Streaming/MultiMedia Storage
- The ITS is responsible for server space only. Audio Visual is responsible for the actual broadcast.
- Faculty will be permitted to broadcast/record class room presentations.
- Departments and internal organizations will be permitted live broadcasts for their special events.
- External organizations are generally not permitted to do live broadcasts at the downtown campus.
- All multimedia (live web casts, taped web casts, mp3 recordings, etc) stored on Chicago-Kent servers must be pre-approved by completing a Request for Web Cast and MultiMedia Storage form. This includes embedded recordings such as Flash videos. Any media placed on the server without approval is subject to removal without notice.
- Requests for live/recorded broadcasts must be made 1 week in advance. Standing requests are acceptable. (i.e. every Wednesday from 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM.)
- Requesters of live/recorded broadcasts are responsible for links to the recordings from their appropriate web page.
- All media will be accessible on the web server for 1 year.
- After one year, the media will be archived on the web server for one additional year.
- All media files will be removed from the server after a total of 2 years from the initial broadcast. No notice will be sent regarding the removal of files.
- Departments and internal organizations will be allowed the option of recording the event for on-demand replay.
- CGI scripts are limited to Chicago-Kent faculty and staff.
- Access to CGI scripts by internal organizations will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
- CGI permissions will not be granted to any individual, student organization, or external organization.
- Student organizations will be limited to two (2) web editors only. Accounts will be created only for those listed on the registration form.
- Student organizations will be restricted to static html pages.
- Student organizations will not be permitted to use any type of programming language to generate dynamic web pages.
- This includes, but is not limited to, PHP, ASP, UNIX shell scripts, and Windows batch programs.
- Student organizations will not be allowed access to any databases.
- Student organization requests for Web Cast/Video Streaming will be determined on a case-by-case basis. Student organizations should email Audio Visual with detailed information about the proposed program including date, time, speaker, program topic, etc. ITS staff will not consider space requests without approval from Audio Visual.
This policy takes effect on July 15, 2009 and supersedes any and all other web hosting policies.