2012 NATO Summit updates for the IIT Chicago-Kent community -- Updated 5/18/12
May 16, 2012
As Chicago hosts the NATO Summit May 20 to 21, 2012, there is the possibility of disruptions to "business as usual," including transportation to and from the city. Please note that the IIT Downtown Campus building will be closed on Saturday and Sunday, May 19 and 20.
Update 1: Friday, May 18 (8:30 a.m.)
The U.S. Department of Defense has announced that air defense training exercises will take place in the skies over the greater Chicago area on Friday, May 18, beginning at 9 a.m. The exercises are expected to last about two hours and will involve various Air Force, Coast Guard and Air National Guard aircraft, including fighter jets. The exercise is being conducted in coordination of the U.S. Secret Service, which is in charge of security for the NATO Summit meetings in Chicago.
The links below can provide you with up-to-date information on transportation, security and other news as it becomes available. Check back to this page for updates that affect the IIT Chicago-Kent community specifically.
- Chicago Transit Authority — Information on all reroutes involving the CTA for the NATO Summit
- Metra — Updates on Metra service, safety measures and restrictions affecting passengers before and during the NATO Summit
- City of Chicago Department of Transportation — Information on street closures and map of closures and reroutes
- Official Host Committee Website for the Chicago NATO Summit — General info on NATO and the summit; news and press feed; summit-related events; programs for Chicago residents
- City of Chicago Office of Emergency Management & Communications — Registration to receive recorded emergency and non-emergency messages to voicemail, text, and email
- Chicago Police Department — Chicago Police CLEARpath site, with registration to receive CPD daily news alerts