Health and Insurance
What the Student Plan Covers
IIT will offer students a single student health insurance plan that is designed to help control increasing costs while providing students with one of the most comprehensive student health plans available. For the 2011-12 academic year, the plan costs $830 for students. (Additional fees are added for spousal and child coverage.) Highlights of the plan include:
- Access to Aetna's national Preferred Provider Network, with over 579,000 health care professionals;
- $100,000 lifetime aggregate maximum per condition;
- Annual deductible of $100 for care received from Preferred Providers and $300 annual deductible for care received from Non-Preferred Providers;
- Prescription drug coverage of 100% up to a $1500 maximum per year after a $10 co-pay for generic drugs and a $30 co-pay for brand-name drugs;
- Coverage for birth control pills and devices;
- Discounts on vision care and alternative health care services; and
- Unlimited medical evacuation and repatriation.
A complete description of the plan will be mailed to students during the summer. Please read Student Health Insurance Plan Brochure for detailed information about the plan.
Automatic Enrollment in Student Health Insurance
All students registered for at least 12 credit hours are automatically enrolled in and billed for student health insurance. This applies to both Day and Evening Division students.
All full-time and part-time J-1 and F-1 international students are automatically enrolled in student health insurance.
Intensive Trial Advocacy: If you are enrolled in either the August or January sessions of Intensive Trial Advocacy, those credits are added to your fall semester hours. If enrolling in Intensive Trial Advocacy gives you 12 or more credit hours for the fall semester, then you be billed for student health insurance.
Incompletes: If you are planning on making up Incompletes during the semester, those credits will not count in your credit hours for determining whether you will be automatically enrolled in the health insurance plan.
Full-time domestic students may waive health insurance coverage under certain circumstances.
Purchasing Health Insurance
Students registered for fewer than 12 credit hours, whether in the Day or Evening Division, are not automatically enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan. These students can elect to obtain coverage by submitting an enrollment form before the enrollment deadline. The enrollment deadline will be posted in The Record at the beginning of the semester, and is usually the end of the first week of classes.
The Chickering Group does not accept applications for enrollment from students. All enrollments must be processed by IIT.