The Honorable Abraham Lincoln Marovitz '25 (1905–2001)
Senior Judge, United States District Court Northern District of Illinois
A Service of Celebration
April 3, 2001
James Benton Parsons Memorial Courtroom
Everett McKinley Dirksen United States Courthouse
Chief Judge Marvin E. Aspen of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois provides introductions to speakers and remarks throughout the service. IIT Chicago-Kent thanks Judge Aspen for providing the video for presentation online here.
Watch the memorial service online using Real Player.
- Opening of Court
- Presentation of Colors and the National Anthem
- Invocation by Rabbi Neal Brief, Ezra Habonim, the Niles Township Jewish Congregation
- Opening remarks by Chief Judge Marvin E. Aspen
- Introduction of Marovitz relatives in attendance
- Explanation of empty chair at judges' bench
- Introduction to video excerpts from interview with Judge Marovitz
The memorial service showed excerpts from Professor Ralph Brill's video interview of Judge Marovitz, which is available here for viewing in its entirety.
- Hon. William J. Bauer
Senior Judge, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- Hon. Richard M. Daley
Mayor, city of Chicago
- Msgr. Ignatius D. McDermott
Co-founder, Haymarket Center; Founder, McDermott Foundation Inc.
Representing former law clerks:
- Marvin J. Rosenblum
Sole practitioner; law clerk to Judge Marovitz, 1971–73
- Richard J. O'Brien
Sidley & Austin; law clerk to Judge Marovitz, 1979–81
Representing family and friends:
- Dr. David Briscoe, M.D.
Children's Hospital (Boston); Harvard Medical School (staff)
- Andrew S. Marovitz
Mayer Brown & Platt; grand-nephew of Judge Marovitz
Closing remarks by Chief Judge Aspen