Awards & Eligibility
Chicago-Kent Certificate of Service
The Chicago-Kent Certificate of Service is awarded to students who complete at least 50 hours of volunteer service during their time at Chicago-Kent. In the past, this award has been referred to as the Dean's Certificate of Service.
A student is eligible to receive the Certificate only once, after the first 50 hours of volunteer service have been completed.
Dean's Distinguished Public Service Award
Students who complete at least 250 hours of volunteer service are eligible to receive the Dean's Distinguished Public Service Award. These students' names are engraved on name plates and mounted on a plaque. The plaque is displayed in the elevator bank outside the student lounge.
To be eligible to receive either of these awards, you must take the following three steps:
You can (1) register with a student counselor during office hours; (2) register electronically; or (3) print out and turn in an intake form.
Volunteer hours and activities must meet the criteria below in order to count towards these awards:
- You cannot be receiving any financial compensation or school credit.
- You cannot be engaged in for-profit, private sector activities.
- You cannot be engaged in partisan, political campaign activities.
- Hours at different public service organizations and government agencies may be combined. For example,
- Hours volunteered at public defender and prosecutor offices are eligible.
- Hours volunteered in the Gulf Coast for hurricane relief efforts are eligible.
- Training time required for volunteering may be included in your hours.
- Hours accrue during the time you are a law student (between your first day of orientation as a first-year law student and your date of graduation, dates inclusive).
- Generally, time spent on Chicago-Kent student organization activities, e.g. preparing for speaker events or bake sales, does NOT qualify. However, volunteering with outside organizations in conjunction with a student organization does qualify, e.g., volunteering at the Daley Center Self-Help Web Desk or soup kitchen as a KJF project.
If you are uncertain whether your particular volunteer work qualifies, please email us for clarification.
- Submit your volunteer hours
You can (1) track your hours on a volunteer time sheet and bring it to Room 604; or (2) submit your hours using our online form.
The Public Interest Resource Center will keep a record of your accrued hours and inform you when you are eligible to receive the Certificate. An annual reception is held in the Spring to honor recipients.