J.S.D. Program Application Guidelines
Please note: Chicago-Kent is not currently considering applications to the J.S.D. program and will not be considering applications until further notice.
A complete J.S.D. application will include:
- a J.S.D. application - You will need to create an account in the IIT applicant portal. Please make sure to select "graduate application" when starting your application in the applicant portal.
- a résumé
- two letters of recommendation (including at least one from the institution at which the candidate is currently studying or was studying most recently)
- relevant academic transcripts
- in cases where English in not the candidate's first language, a TOEFL score of 100 (Internet) or an IELTS score of 7.5
- a writing sample that is originally written in English (translations of works originally written in another language do not qualify) along with a signed statement that it is the work of the candidate
- a dissertation proposal in English and in the range of 1,500 to 2,500 words (five to ten double-spaced pages), with a meaningful working title; and a two-page bibliography that lists relevant works that proved significant in the formulation of the applicant's thinking about his or her project
- a personal statement of no more than four double-spaced pages outlining why the candidate wishes to study for a J.S.D. at Chicago-Kent and explaining how a J.S.D. will help advance the candidate's career goals
NOTE: Due to immigration matters, the deadline for completed applications for the fall semester is March 15. Completed applications must include all supporting documents, including those sent in electronic (e.g. résumé/CV) and hard-copy (e.g. academic transcripts) formats.
The substance of the proposal should:
- include a clear statement of the problem being addressed
- demonstrate the originality of the research project
- show how the project fits into and builds upon the existing literature
- indicate the importance of the project within the applicant's larger field of study
- acknowledge whatever problems or difficulties the applicant foresees in formulating and completing the project
All required application materials should be uploaded to the applicant portal. Any questions about the application can be emailed to email@example.com