Meet Our 2018-19 Participants
The 2018-19 class of SSPI participants started in February 2018. Four participants were selected through an application process that required detailed business plans.
Law Practice Management
On April 19, 2018, the Honorable Judge Russell W. Hartigan, partner at Goldstine, Skrodzki, Russian, Nemec and Hoff, Ltd., and president of the Illinois State Bar Association, shared strategies in law practice management, including operational essentials, managing costs, profitability, managing risk, marketing, and ethical considerations.
Tech on the Ground Floor
On March 13, 2018, Debbie Ginsberg, Chicago-Kent's technology librarian, provided SSPI participants with her top five tech essentials for solo practitioners. Participants learned about various hardware, software, on-the-go technology, and management tools to help lawyers increase productivity and efficiency for their firms.
Full Day Training Boot Camp
On February 23, 2018, SSPI participants attended an all-day boot camp that provided essential information on getting a successful law practice up and running. Dean and Professor of Law, Harold J. Krent, welcomed the new lawyers to the program and Dawn Young, director of Institutional Projects, moderated the training, which included presentations from seasoned IIT Chicago-Kent alumni and business professionals in the community.
- How to Ethically Start a Practice: ARDC Procedures and IOLTA Accounts - Presenter: Melissa Smart, Litigation Group Manager and Senior Counsel, Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Commission (ARDC) of the Supreme Court of Illinois
- How to Obtain and Retain Clients - Presenter: Robert C. Milla (’06), Attorney, Milla & Associates, LLC
- Entity Formation; Developing Niche Practices - Presenter: Patrick Wartan (’10), Attorney, Chair of the Food and Beverage Group, Taft Stettinius & Hollister LLP
- Marketing and Business Development - Presenter: Nancy Roberts Linder, Director of Marketing, Chapman and Cutler, LLP
- Overview of Legal Professional Liability Insurance—Basic Guidelines and Anatomy of Policies Malpractice Insurance - Presenters: Andrew Murray, Director of Sales; Janet Rapp, Managing Director of Underwriting, ISBA Mutual
- Creating Organic Growth in a Successful Practice – Presenter: Heather F. Harper, Clinical Associate Professor of Law, IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law
- You’ve Got the Client, Now What? A discussion on billing, retainers, initial client contact, and a representation plan – Presenter: Michael O’Connell (‘79), Attorney, Law Office of Michael S. O'Connell
- Welcome & Introduction to Amata Law Office Suites - Presenter: Ron Bockstahler, Co-Founder and CEO, Amata Holdings, LLC