Meet Our 2021-22 Participants
The 2021-22 SSPI participants started in February 2021. Five participants were selected through an application process that required detailed business plans.
Positioning Your Practice for Growth in a Pandemic
March 25, 2021
Alumna Candace Hansford (’12) provided participants with strategies in positioning their practices for growth in the midst of a pandemic. In this workshop, Ms. Hansford discussed ways in which new lawyers can deepen trust with clients, stay agile, pivot quickly, and continue to plan for the long term.
Full Day Training Boot Camp
February 26, 2021
On February 26, 2021, SSPI participants attended an all-day boot camp that provided essential information on getting a successful law practice up and running. Dean Anita K. Krug welcomed the new lawyers to the program and Dawn Young moderated the training, which included presentations from seasoned IIT Chicago-Kent alumni and business professionals in the community
- Ethical Considerations in Starting a Law Practice – Presenter: Melissa Smart, Director of Education, Illinois Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Commission of the Supreme Court of Illinois
- Law Firm Finance – Presenter: Andrew B. Gordon ('12), President, Gordon Law Group, Ltd.
- Starting Your Firm – Individual Lawyer and Law Firm Requirements – Presenter: Libby Popovic, Founding Partner, Caputo & Popovic
- Billing, Retainers, Engagement Letters, and Pricing – Presenter: Kathleen M. Robson, Founding Partner, Robson & Lopez, LLC
- How a Malpractice Policy Protects Your Practice – Presenter: Jeff Strand, President and Chief Executive Officer, ISBA Mutual
- Creating a Law Firm Tech Plan – Presenter: Debbie Ginsberg, Educational Technology Librarian, IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law
- Four Critical Moments in Attracting and Retaining Happy Clients – Presenter: Randy Micheletti, President and Founder, Incubate IP
- Business Development/Marketing Best Practices for Solo and Small Firms – Presenter: Nancy Roberts Linder, Chief Marketing Officer, Chapman and Cutler, LLP
- Welcome and Introduction to Amata Law Office Suites – Presenters: Grant Drager, General Manager and Director of Sales, and Beth Lestingi, Amata
Lawyer to Lawyer Mentoring
February 26, 2021
SSPI participants and their mentors attended a mentoring orientation presented by Dawn Young. The orientation provided an overview of the mentoring component of the program, including its purpose and goals. IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law is a sponsoring organization of the Illinois Supreme Court Commission on Professionalism’s Lawyer to Lawyer Mentoring Program. The mentoring program creates an opportunity for experienced lawyers to provide professional guidance and share their judgment and skills with lawyers in their early years of practice.
SSPI Participants and Mentors: