The Summer Legal Externship Program will coordinate with Chicago-Kent's eight-week summer session
The summer Access to Practice Legal Externship Program (LEP) consists of fieldwork and classroom components. Because the law school is awarding academic credit for the externship, summer externs are required to:
- Devote at least 32 hours per week to the fieldwork component for a minimum total of 240 hours.
- Attend a series of classes (Perspectives in Lawyering) that focuses on different practice areas and address the often complex and unpredictable realities at the core of the actual practice of law.
- Maintain weekly activity reports and journals based on their fieldwork experience, as required by the law school and ABA rules.
Firms or organizations hosting summer externs should be able to commit to the following in order to comply with the guidelines of the LEP:
- The extern should have a supervisor who allocates substantive work project assignments and provides on-going guidance.
- The supervising lawyer should provide constructive feedback on said assignments.
- The supervising lawyer will be asked to complete a formal graded evaluation at the end of the semester, assessing his/her extern's competence in performing various lawyering responsibilities; the extern's enthusiasm and willingness to take on new challenges; and the extern's general ability to complete competent work professionally and efficiently.
- The firm/organization should have a designated workspace and access to tools (phone, computer, etc.) and support that will enable the extern to complete fieldwork assignments.
Any clinical program runs the risk of being a token educational experience if the student does not complete work or projects without proper direction or supervision. To overcome this risk, Chicago-Kent's LEP selects only those placements and lawyers whom we believe share an interest and commitment to our goals.
To host a Chicago-Kent student as an extern for the Summer semester, please contact Vivien Gross at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Externship Interest Form will be sent to the Faculty Externship Screening Committee for immediate review. All requests to join the list of summer externship placements will be reviewed and decisions made by March 1.
While we cannot guarantee there will be a suitable extern candidate for each externship, please know, however, that your interest and availability are still important to us.