The Academic Support Program holds a number of workshops for first year law students. Click on the title listed below to download various articles and handouts distributed at these programs.
- Do's and Don'ts of Exam Preparation
- Do's and Don'ts of Exam Taking
- Getting Answers to Questions about Exams
- Multiple Choice Test Strategies
- Sample & Blank Study Calendars for Fall 2019
- Preparing for Exams Slides-Fall 2019
- Practice Exam Question
Teaching Assistant Resources for Students
Periodically, teaching assistants will post handouts and other resources for students in their classes. Many of these materials are created for the small group sessions, but are available to everyone in the class through this website or by contacting your Teaching Assistant.
- Getting Started Outlining (Maria Pellegrino 9/28/2005)
- Torts Jeopardy (Maria Pellegrino & Devin McComb 10/18/2005)
- Default Rule Decision Tree (Kate Skozinski 11/29/05)
- Mistake of Fact Decision Tree (Kate Skozinski 11/29/05)
Books and Other Helpful Resources
There is an endless number of books and other products providing suggestions on how to succeed in law school. Below you will find a few that students have mentioned as particularly helpful. If you know of another useful book that is not in this list, please email Student Services to have it added.
Fischel, Richard Michael & Paul, Jeremy. Getting to Maybe - How to Excel on Law School Exams.
Nygren, Carolyn J. Starting Off Right in Law School.
Shapo, Helene & Shapo, Marshall. Law School Without Fear: Strategies for Success (2nd edition).
Stropus, Ruta K. & Taylor, Charlotte D. Bridging the Gap Between College and Law School: Strategies for Success.
Tonsing, Dennis J. 1000 Days to the Bar But the Practice of Law Begins Now: How to Achieve Your Personal Best in Law School.
StoreLaw Outliner 2.0
This computer program is designed to help students organize case briefs, class notes, secondary source notes, and key information from all classes. Computer-savvy students may find this beneficial. You can purchase the program at the IIT Downtown Campus Bookstore. Additional information is available on Amazon.