Master of IP Management & Markets
IPMM is proud to co-sponsor with the IP Business Congress Global2022 to be in Chicago June 12-14, 2022.
More information is available at IPBC Global 2022
An interdisciplinary graduate degree awarded by Illinois Institute of Technology
"With the increasing importance of knowledge as a driving force of innovation and economic growth worldwide, IP rights are becoming central to the modern economy."
—World Intellectual Property Indicators, 2009 (World Intellectual Property Organization)
Intellectual assets are important. The master's in intellectual property management and markets at Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT) is the first degree program in the country to provide a foundational understanding of intellectual property that integrates perspectives and skills from five key disciplines:
- Computer science
Upon earning this degree, you'll be equipped to take strategic and leadership roles in leveraging and managing intellectual property whether through marketing, research and development, portfolio management, legal protection or business transactions.
Introduction to the Master of Intellectual Property Management and Markets Program
Learn more about the IPMM Program from Associate Professor Mickie Piatt, Research Professor Dennis Roberson, and student Sam Baird, who went to work at Unified Patents.
Why should you enroll in our program?
- acquire the education, skills and experiences to become an IP professional in a wide range of roles and settings.
- greatly enhance their ability to perform their current IP role, and gain the credentials that might be necessary to advance in that role.
- gain a network of IP professionals that will be an invaluable resource for locating employers and clients.
- engage in discourse of cutting-edge issues with IP thought leaders and contribute to a growing body of knowledge on a variety of emerging topics.
Who should consider this program?
- Those currently involved in IP, such as:
- Tech Transfer Managers
- Marketing Managers
- Licensing Professionals
- Media and Entertainment Executives
- Patent Agents
- IP and General Lawyers
- Product Developers
- Legal Analysts and Assistants
- R&D Managers
- IP Contract Managers
- Financial and Accounting Managers
- Investment Bankers
- Venture Capital Analysts
- New college graduates who want a career as an IP professional
The IPMM program is primarily a residential program and can be completed at our Chicago, Illinois campus with about 10 months of full-time study (30 credit hours) starting in August of each year through the following June.
Students also have an option to attend the IPMM Program on a part-time or remote basis. All part-time and remote students will need to complete the two-week intensive courses that take place at the start and end of the program in residence in Chicago. The remainder of the courses may be taken either online or in residence.
Remote students virtually “attend” the on-campus classes. Students will join with on-campus students for project work by forming virtual teams. The entire program is designed to build the skills of the 21st century. Both remote and residential students build their networks and expand their universe through working together.
Course work in the IPMM Program tracks the life cycle of intellectual property from its inception to full exploitation. Courses include doctrinal as well as skills instruction and practice with real-world problems and real-world solutions. Each class includes the practical application of skills and a new course is focused entirely on IP Analytics. For non-technologists, we offer course work designed to build confidence in working with researchers and others who create the IP we focus on.
The program begins in August with a two-week intensive "Boot Camp" course that provides an initial introduction to IP and innovation design. The program concludes with a two-week intensive "Capstone" course in which students undertake an “IP Audit” of an actual company, bringing to bear all the skills learned through the program and reporting their findings to the company’s senior executives.
Electives covering basic instruction in the fields of engineering, law and business provide you with an opportunity to enhance or augment your prior education or business experiences. During the program, you'll collaborate with other students as a cohort, drawing upon each other's experiences and ideas.
Instructional teams are drawn from five IIT colleges as well as from the world of IP practitioners. Your classes will also draw instructors from at least two disciplines.
Illinois Tech and Chicago-Kent College of Law offer several additional programs that may be of interest to you:
- Online Certificate in Intellectual Asset Management
- Online Course in Patent Analytics & Landscape Reports
- Juris Doctor (J.D.) with a certificate in Intellectual Property Law (may be completed in coordination with the IPMM Program)
- Master of Law (LL.M.) in International Intellectual Property Law