Solo and Small Practice Incubator
IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law established the Solo & Small Practice Incubator (SSPI) in fall 2012 to provide recent graduates with valuable training, ongoing education and the tools necessary to build their own solo or small firm practice. Seven participants were selected through an application process that required detailed business plans. The one-year program started on November 5, 2012. The incubatees accepted into the program are:
In exchange for contributing a minimum of 10 hours of their time per week on cases at the Chicago-Kent Law Offices, participants are provided with an office housed at the law school; basic office fixtures; experiential training on law firm management, client intake, billing practices, marketing and other practice-related topics; access to Westlaw and Lexis; alumni mentors; clinical faculty mentors/supervisors to help these newly minted attorneys navigate different selected practice areas; and, when possible, overflow cases from the Law Offices.
Upcoming and Ongoing SSPI Events
Learn the Ins and Outs of Real Estate Transactions
Thanks to Peter Birnbaum '83, president and CEO of Attorneys' Title Guaranty Fund Inc. (ATG). ATG has provided our SSPI participants with an opportunity to learn the ins and outs of real estate transactions by allowing them to attend an actual closing with the buyer, seller, attorneys, lender, realtor and closer present at the closing table. The program started in February 2013, and is ongoing.
Since closings occur at ATG on a daily basis, SSPI participants simply call their ATG contact and schedule a day and time to observe a closing. Upon their arrival, participants get 30 minutes of "prep-time" where they are debriefed on the transaction. At the closing table, participants get to observe discussions between attorneys, the clients, the closer and other agents. In addition, they get to observe explanations on the HUD, closing documents and lender forms. ATG was founded in 1964 and is the only bar-related title insurance company in Illinois that provides title insurance to homebuyers and lenders through a network of 4,000 lawyers who are ATG members.
- Law School Launches Program to House New Solo Lawyers, ABA Journal, Oct. 25, 2012.
- Chicago-Kent opens solo incubator, National Jurist, Oct. 26, 2012.
- Chicago-Kent, Thomas Jefferson Join Solo Incubator Movement, National Law Journal, Oct. 29, 2012.
- IIT's law school launches jobs incubator with seven alums, Crain's Chicago Business, Oct. 30, 2012.
- Taking their destiny into their own hands and starting a firm, Chicago Lawyer, Nov. 1, 2012.
- Incubadoras de firmas de advocacia prosperam nos EUA, Consultor Jurídico (Brazil), Nov. 5, 2012.
- Chicago-Kent's solo-attorney incubator nurtures new lawyers, Illinois Bar Journal, Jan. 2012.
Director of the Solo & Small Practice Incubator at Chicago-Kent
565 W. Adams St., Suite 330
Chicago, IL 60661