Curriculum and Requirements

Certificate Program in Labor and Employment Law

Course information for 2017 - 18 academic year

If you have questions, please feel free to contact, Prof. Martin Malin at  (, Assistant Dean Marsha Ross-Jackson (, or  Prof. Mary Rose Strubbe (  

You are required to take seven courses to earn the Labor/Employment Law Certificate:

  1. Employment Discrimination — will be offered in fall 2017, both a day and an evening section; will not be offered in spring 2018.
  2. Employment Relationships — both a day and an evening section will be offered on spring 2018; is NOT offered in fall 2017.
  3. Labor Law — offered in fall 2017 as a day class; will be offered in evening in spring 2018.
  4. Legal Writing 4 and Labor/Employment Law — is offered in the spring.
    • If you are eligible for the Legal Writing 4 Equivalency because you are on Law Review, in Moot Court Honor Society/Appellate Advocacy course, taking a judicial externship, or taking Pre-Trial Litigation or Criminal Litigation, you are required to do two things – take the Equivalency in the same semester as the semester in which you do the qualifying activity (except for summer judicial externships, where you are permitted to take the Equivalency the immediately following semester) – and arrange to attend the research training segments of one of the Legal Writing 4 Labor/Employment courses in the spring.  There may be only one LW 4 Labor/Employment section offered in spring 2018.  In any event, it is your responsibility to contact the professor before the semester begins to learn the 4 – 5 hours/dates when he/she will focus on research resources particular to labor & employment. You must attend these sessions.
  5. An elective — don’t forget that Prof Malin will teach “ADR in the Workplace” as an intersession course in January 2018. This course counts as your elective if you choose to take it.
  6. A Practicum — to fulfill the Practicum requirement, you can take the Employment Litigation class, offered in the fall in the evening, or do an externship through Assistant Dean Marsha Ross-Jackson, or take Employment Clinic for four credit hours. All of these activities must be done in your last year of law school or, if you are evening students, during any of your last three semesters. Additionally, you may satisfy the Practicum requirement by taking Pre-Trial Litigation if you are working toward the joint LADR/Labor and Employment Certificate and you are taking or have taken either Employment Discrimination or Employment Relationships.
  7. Last, you must take a seminar on a labor or employment law topic, or do independent research in lieu of a seminar with a sponsoring faculty member.  If you have any doubts about whether a particular seminar will fulfill the requirement, please ask Prof. Malin or Ass’t Dean Ross-Jackson.  Note that to fulfill C-K’s graduation requirement, you must take your seminar after you have completed at least 54 credit hours and after you have completed Legal Writing 4, unless you have permission to do otherwise from Dean Sowle.
  8. If you are in the joint LADR/Labor and Employment Certificate program, there are a total of nine required courses, as follows:
    • Labor Law
    • Employment Relationships
    • Evidence
    • Legal Writing 4 for Labor/Employment
    • Seminar on a labor/employment law related topic
    • Either Pre-trial Litigation or Employment Litigation
    • Mediation and ADR Procedures OR the ADR in the Workplace intensive intersession course
    •  PLUS TWO of the following:
      • Employment Discrimination
      • Labor or Employment Law Externship
      • In-house Employment Law Clinic
      • Trial Advocacy I