Externships broaden your employment opportunities by providing you with practical legal experience often not available through paid clerking or volunteer positions.
Serving as excellent preparation for post-graduate judicial clerkships, judicial externships acquaint you with the day-to-day operation of the courts as you work with trial and appellate court judges and their law clerks to research and write legal memoranda and draft opinions.
In legal externships, you'll work in civil or criminal practice in a specialized area of your choice with supervising attorneys in federal, state and local government agencies, corporate legal departments, or public interest organization.
More program information
- Legal Externship Program Description
- Judicial Externship Program Description
- Types of Externships
- Applying for an Externship
- Externship Listings - Symplicity
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Contact Information
- Spring 2020 Applications
- Legal Externship: Applications are now available (see below) and are due on Monday, January 6, 2020 in Room 618.
- Judicial Externship: The due date for applications has passed but if you have secured an externship with a judge who is not a participating member in the Chicago-Kent Judicial Externship Program and wish to explore the possibility of converting that opportunity into a for-credit externship, please contact Professor Vivien Gross (firstname.lastname@example.org) and please fill out the below application.
Note: Open forms in Adobe PDF ("Open With Different Viewer" once it opens in the browser) to fill them out.
If you have any questions about the Legal or Judicial Externships, please contact Professor Vivien Gross (email@example.com).
Recent Legal Externship Placements
|American Dental Association||Beerman Swerdlove||Blair Caravelli Irmen Law|
|Center for Disability and Elder Law||Center for Law & Social Justice||Chicago Office Illinois Human Rights Commission|
|Cook County Public Defender Office||Domestic Violence Legal Clinic||Equip for Equality, Inc.|
|Federal Defender's Office||FINRA||Hinshaw Culbertson|
|Illinois Attorney General||Illinois Pollution Control Board||Int'l Refugee Assistance Project (IRAP) in New York|
|Internal Revenue Services||Lane & Lane, LLC||Lawyers for the Creative Arts|
|Legal Assistance Foundation of Metropolitan Chicago||Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago||Maron Marvel Bradley Anderson & Tardy LLC|
|Merieux Nutrisciences Corporation||Mintel Group Ltd.||Office of the Cook County Public Guardian|
|Rosenbaum IP||Saper Law||Seyfarth Shaw|
|State's Attorney's Offices--Cook, DuPage, Lake & Will counties||U.S. Attorney's Offices, Northern District of Illinois||U.S. Department of Justice, Antitrust Division|
|U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement||U.S. Environmental Protection Agency||U.S. Patent and Trademark Office|
|ULTA Beauty||Walgreen Co.||Brightstar Corporation|