Frequently Asked Questions for Students


Access to Practice logo

Chicago-Kent Legal Externship Program

Need guidance about choosing an externship?

Students unsure about what kind of an externship to seek can arrange to meet with Professor Gross or view current externship listings in Symplicity. Professor Gross can advise about available opportunities and provide access to files of prior externs' evaluations of placements. These appraisals can help guide you in selecting the kind of placement for which you wish to apply.

You have an offer to extern and wish to participate in the LEP.

If you have already located an externship that is not officially approved through the LEP, you may be able to convert that volunteer opportunity into a for-credit externship. Please contact Professor Gross to formally apply to LEP and submit a copy of your resume and unofficial transcript.

You cannot extern for a current employer/cannot receive pay for a for-credit externship.

LEP is an experiential educational program. An employer/employee relationship is financial; you do what the employer needs and wants rather than what the law school deems educationally appropriate. For this reason, the American Association of Law Schools (AALS) does not allow you to get paid for externships and receive school credit for doing the same work.

Extending an externship for a second semester.

If you wish to continue your externship for the following semester, you may do so provided you receive permission from your supervising attorney and Professor Gross. You may also apply to do another externship at a different placement.

If you have questions about the LEP, please contact Professor Gross at