Security and Safety
Personal belongings must never be left unattended. Unattended items may be moved by security officers during routine patrols. Inquiries about lost items should be made at the 1st floor security desk.
Any person using the Library may be asked by Library staff and/or security personnel to show appropriate identification. Refusal to comply may result in removal from the facility.
Food and Drink
Drinks are permitted in the Library, but not in the computer lab. Food is not permitted anywhere in the Library including the Library's outdoor spaces.
Smoking and Tobacco Products
IIT is subject to the Illinois Clean Indoor Air Act and Chicago Clean Indoor Air Ordinance. Smoking and the use of tobacco or similar products is prohibited in the Library and the Library's outdoor spaces.
Users of the Library are asked to conduct cell phone conversations outside the Library or in stairwells. Turn off ringers and leave phones on "vibrate" while in the Library.
Individuals who wish to film or take photographs in the Library must contact the Library Director to seek permission.
During exam periods in May and December, access to the Library is restricted to members of the Illinois Tech Community. Based on reciprocal agreements with the law schools of John Marshall, and the University of Chicago, students from these programs are also admitted.
During restricted access periods, members of the public who need to use government documents are encouraged to use one of the other federal depository libraries in the city:
- Chicago Public Library-Harold Washington Branch (400 S. State St.)
- Chicago State University (9501 S. King Dr.)
- IIT Galvin Library (35 W. 33rd St.)
- Loyola University Cudahy Memorial Library (6525 N. Sheridan Rd.)
- Northeastern Illinois University Williams Library (5500 N. St. Louis Ave.)
- University of Illinois-Chicago Daley Library (801 S. Morgan St.)
- U. S. Court of Appeals Seventh Circuit Library (219 S. Dearborn St.)
- University of Chicago Regenstein Library (1100 E. 57th St.)
If a government document in our Library is not available elsewhere, members of the public may speak with a librarian to arrange use of the particular item. During restricted access periods, all guests are required to register at the Service Desk before being admitted.